19. Darks General Store (184-190 Dowling St)
Henry Charles Dark established a store here in 1877, later known as the ‘Hall of Commerce’. The first section of the present building, designed by C H Button, was erected in 1897. The business was continued by Henry’s widow, Mary Ann (Wade) Dark, their sons, George and Eric, and descendants until the 1970s.
20. Davey & Olsen (162-168 Dowling St)
Originally a blacksmith’s shop, it was one of the first to be converted to the servicing of the new motorcars. In business since 1919, Davey & Olsen is one of the oldest such businesses in NSW and the second oldest Ford dealership in Australia.
Built in 1911 for Angus & Coote, Jewellers and Assay Agents, at a time gold mines operated at nearby Wangat. The building has three shops, and had a residence of four bedrooms, bathroom, sitting room, dining room and kitchen.
22. Funeral Directors (116-120 Dowling St)
Initially the site of Peter and Thomas McWilliam’s store and tobacco factory of the 1850s, it was later occupied by W H Green. Around 1922, two stores were incorporated into an extension of McWilliam’s original store, when Fry Bros established a furniture store and undertakers. This was taken over in 1969 by John and Elaine Hawley.
23. Dungog Chronicle (114 Dowling St)
In 1909, John Bellos opened an oyster saloon here, selling fresh fish, confectionery, fruit and soft drinks. Later it became the Busy Bee Cafe, then a cake shop, and then a show room for Fry Bros furniture. In 1982, it became the office of the Dungog Chronicle.
24. Bank of NSW – now Solicitors (115 Dowling St)
The present Georgian Revival Style structure was erected in 1936 on the site of a much older two storied building which Mrs Eliza Dark rented first to the Commercial Bank of Sydney then to the Bank of NSW. Eliza became that bank’s first Dungog customer in 1884.
25. Post Office (129 Dowling St)
The first post office in Dungog began in 1835, receiving letters by steamer and horse back. Clerks of the Bench, then local storekeepers, were postmasters until the present Post Office was occupied in July 1880. The new post office was immediately a major landmark within Dungog, with numerous businesses advertising themselves in the days before street numbers as ‘opposite the Post Office’.
26. Shop and residence, with colonnade (137 Dowling St)
Built in 1909 by local builder Amos Moore, it was occupied by various businesses, but most continuously by chemists. When newly opened it was described as ‘the principal building of the town’. Its kerbside colonnade is one of few remaining in Dungog.
27. Newsagent (143 Dowling St)
A timber cottage was erected here in 1880, with a brick facade added perhaps 10 years later. This was George Kelly’s Photographic Studio, and also Emily Jane Kelly’s boarding house. Mrs Kelly also operated a general shop here, selling toys, stationery, sweets and fruit.
28. Tall Timbers Motel (163 Dowling St)
Tall Timbers was the site of the first St Mary’s Church, replaced in 1933 with a second St Mary’s in Brown St. Tall Timbers remains Dungog’s only motel.