29. School of Arts (105 Dowling St)
The School of Arts was on this site from the 1870s to the 1960s and housed a subscription library, and provided a venue for such organisations as the Agricultural Society and the Debating Society. It is now the Dungog History Museum.
30. St Andrews (Cnr Chapman & Dowling St)
The present Presbyterian Church was built in 1904, replacing an earlier 1856 church. In a Victorian Free Gothic style, it was designed by J W Scobie. Originally two rival Presbyterian churches established themselves in Dungog, with both foundation stones laid in 1855.
31. Public School (Chapman St)
Among the first Public schools established in NSW, the school survived false starts, including a time in a building described as having a roof ‘giving as much protection as a sieve’. A new school building was opened in February 1865 with a ‘tea and dancing party’.
32. Oddfellows Hall – now Music Room (Chapman St)
Built in 1893 as the Hall of the Grand United Order of Oddfellows or the G.U.O.O.F. The Oddfellows was a self-help organisation based on contributory insurance. The Dungog Oddfellows was called the ‘Star of the Williams Lodge’.
33. Christ Church (cnr Chapman & Dowling St)
First proposed in 1849 but delayed until 1861 due to the gold rushes, this is ‘a beautiful Church, drawn by Mr Blackett’. Originally the site of Dungog’s first school, the church replaced a timber slab building erected in 1842. In 1916, local landowner Theo Hooke donated £1,000 to this Church, including £500 to purchase an organ.
34.Masonic Hall (53 Dowling St)
The Masonic Lodge Hiram No. 213 of the United Grand Lodge of NSW was first formed in 1894. The foundation stone of a new temple was laid in 1908, and the following year the ceremonial room and a small outer room were erected.
35. Coimbra (72 Dowling St)
Site of the first Presbyterian Manse, the present house was built by auctioneer Tom Carlton in 1917. Coimbra, not an Aboriginal word but a Portuguese University town, is built in a Federation Arts & Crafts style.
36. Royal Hotel (80-86 Dowling St)
The fourth on this site to hold this name, the first was built about 1850 and was originally The Durham Hotel, then briefly The Globe Hotel and finally the Royal Hotel. This was replaced by a Georgian style building, and then in 1913, by a two-storey Federation hotel demolished in 1939 when the current Royal was erected.
37. Ralph’s Music Store (92-94 Dowling St)
Built around 1926 by ‘W J Ralph, LAB of RAM and RCM, late solo violinist to Haymarket Theatres, Sydney’. The music store sold pianos and Ralph gave violin tuition at 10/6. An agent for Palings advertisement can still just be seen on the building’s north side.